Wednesday, September 11, 2013

More Committed than Marriage - WE BOUGHT A HOUSE

I realize I'm writing this for myself as I'm pretty sure no one remembers me anymore, but we've hit a major milestone and I'm so excited that I want to post for posterity if nothing else.

WE BOUGHT A HOUSE TOGETHER!!  (UGLY but front remodeling on hold until next year when major repairs inside are done)

Hells yeah.  For 2 years we lived on a little island in South Florida - found quite by accident when I suddenly had to rent instead of buy in Florida back in 2011 when I chucked my former life and moved south.

After about 9 months on the island we realized we'd really like to live here permanently.  But we wanted a house 1) on the water 2) with beach rights.  Yes I said beach rights.  See that header on my blog?  that's the private beach that came with the rental.  Only the first 3 streets on the island have access, most of them being land locked.

So we waited.

And prayed.

And another year passed.

Then one day I noticed through my job that a house on the water with beach rights was going to foreclosure sale.  I briefly tried to jump in that crazy auction pool and said, "Nope, I'll hope the bank buys it back and deal with their REO department." 

Then it didn't go to foreclosure, something happened and it was pulled.

Damn, it was April and I really wanted to buy something.  My house in MD had an offer on it, closing in May.  Time to buy something here.

So then I found the owner's info (it's an investment property, sitting empty) and called him.  Turns out he's "in the business" sort of and was agreeable to a short sale if I could convince the bank to do it.

Game on.

LOOOOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGG very difficult story now behind us, after thousands of phone calls, emails, hundreds of documents uploaded, tears, nightmares, frustration, eviction (oh yeah, in the midst of this my landlord decided NOT to let us renew on a month to month and said "YOU, OUT by July 31), we bought it!  (during this time my former mother-in-law passed after a long illness and the Captain's mom passed after only 6 weeks of her cancer diagnosis - yeah it was a tough time.....)

Yes it "needs work."  So far in a month we have replaced 2 air conditioners (it has a dual system),





fixed the pool (it was black, no filter, covered in chicken wire),

ordered a new kitchen to be installed prior to Thanksgiving (she said hopefully),

measured for new hurricane sliders all across the back, power washed the roof and all patios and driveways, painted two rooms (the rest are being overhauled),





 bought 12 samples of paint because we have trouble deciding on colors for the tiny cabana bathroom, bought appliances, um...yeah and other stuff. 


Tired?  yes.  Estatic?  Definitely.





By the way, Captain is incredibly handy.  HE designed the chemical-free pool filter system and installed it.

Reason number 357 why I love him so much.

THIS is the true beginning of the rest of my life.  And I couldn't be happier.

 

12 comments:

Busy Bee Suz said...

On.the.water.
I am so freakin' excited for you. And uh, yeah, you've been missed!
Knowing your story from the beginning up until now? You've come a long way baby....and you are a happy clam. I love that. I'm sure your kids are excited about summer vacays (or Thanksgiving or Christmas) at your home!!! Congrats to you both!
Sorry about the Mom's who've passed away; that is always very very hard.
Don't be such a stranger.
XOXO

Gigi said...

Oh wow! Congrats! It will be beautiful and filled with love by the time you are finished!

And yes, you are remembered. And missed from the blogging world.

Robin said...

Congratulations on the new house! I've enjoyed your writing from early in your blogging, having found you when I linked to your pink bedroom blog entry. I'm happy for you that you decided to go with your heart and the Captain. Good luck to you both.

ChiTown Girl said...

Sister Girl!! Congratulations!!!!

I've been pretty absent from the blogosphere lately, but thanks to a LONG, boring wait in the waiting room if the dr's office, I had a chance to check in. =) I'm SO glad I did!!

I'm going to email you soon, I promise.
xoxox

Suburban Correspondent said...

Of course, I remember you! And your new home sounds fantastic, although I think the concomitant stress would have ruined my marriage. We, too, paint many different stripes of color on the wall before we can choose the right one.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

What a great place you will have! And I am digging lower left teal-ish color.

Welcome back!

Unknown said...

Woohoo! Congratulations on your new house! The two of you have gone through a lot just to have this, and all the time and effort you poured into this were worth it. I'm glad you've managed to convince the previous owner, the bank and everyone else involved that this house is definitely yours.

Churchill Mortgage Corporation

Unknown said...

I may be months late, but I still want to send you my heartfelt congratulations for owning your new house! I can only imagine all those efforts and waiting until you finally found your beloved place. I hope it's safe to say, owning a new house probably feels like the first time you found each other, am I right? Hope you're enjoying your new place! :)

Myra Hayes @ Corporate Housing

Unknown said...

That is quite a find, with all of those amenities on the ready. Good for you! The real test, though, is when your house, regardless of its facade, delivers both in terms of the resilience of its structure and its comfort factor as well. Building a house is no cakewalk, taking all those things in consideration and more. Congratulations!

Oliver Matthews @ Flower & Fendler Homes

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...


Found your blog. It is full of really good information. Thank you for sharing. If you ever need service on ac repair please visit us at rheemteamcomfort.com. We would love it if you would have a look at some of our blogs and let us know your thoughts.